Saturday, July 20, 2013

Late for dat Train, doe.

(Day's Note: Imma let you finish, but first I gotta introduce my partner in crime. Kevi Rae is going to be joining HDN1 to add a little feminine perspective to our little blog. This is her first post. I'm excited. It's about a great breakfast we had in Flagstaff before heading to New Mexico last week. Enjoy!)

I realize calling you out on my first post isn't the best first impression, but if you tell me you have had one of the best breakfast burritos and it isn't from Late for the Train, you're lying*

On our way out of Flagstaff, we stopped at a coffee shop hoping for a quick bite and some liquid crack. Late for the Train is the name, and I’ll be damned if they didn’t impress the hell outta me. 

I’ll start with the coffee. I ordered an iced Americano with a splash of soy (my drink of choice almost always). It was the perfect amount of roast with a slight chocolate finish. Add the splash-o-soy for that slight creamy finish, and I was in love with this place already.  I will say that one downfall I found was that they did not have a cold brew, only an iced drip that I suppose they make every morning. WAH WAH.

 Alright, let’s get down to business. I am hesitant about breakfast burritos for a few reasons. Let me list them for you:

1.     They tend to be soggy/runny/drippy/whatever other wet word sounds unappetizing.

1.1    Usually, the tortilla is too floppy, thus making point 1 even more of a pain.

2.     They use fake stupid eggs that taste like fake stupid eggs.

2.2     This makes my stomach hurt.

3.     Maybe most important to note; I have never had an amazing one.




I ordered the “Veggie Burrito” which included kale, zucchini, squash, red pepper, onion, potato, and vegan ranch. I am a recovering vegan, so I added some bacon to that bitch. It came out in a beautifully wrapped AND PRESSED tortilla that did not drip, leak, tear, or piss me off. With a slight roasted crunch from the press, the char on the outside complimented all the treats on the inside of this baby.  The veggies were lightly sautéed in olive oil and were not slimy or overcooked. The vegan ranch (don’t scoff, it was delicious) added the right amount of zest to the simple vegetables. I am sure this burrito is great as it is, but the bacon really just completed it for me. I was not left wanting more or wanting less.

Day ordered the “Bacon Burrito”. The name alone already hints at a perfect burrito, but let’s get into it. Again, perfectly wrapped and pressed legit tortilla. The guys at LftT actually cooked REAL eggs. Fried with fully cooked yolk, the eggs tasted like eggs and not some microwaved egg patty. The rest of the burrito contained roasted potatoes, grated cheddar cheese, and of course, bacon. Alone, I would say it was a little dry, but they gave us some mild salsa to toss on it that sealed the deal.

Maybe you don’t care much about breakfast burritos… we can still be friends.

Go check out Late for the Train if you ever find yourself in Flagstaff. Hopefully it will change your mind as it did mine.


Late for the Train
22 East Birch Ave., Flagstaff AZ 86001

BYE!


 (*Maybe not, but just humor me.)

1 comment:

  1. Nicely done! I love your writing style, always have. I will be an avid follower of this blog. XOXO

    ReplyDelete