Monday, August 19, 2013

Extracurricular Activity

Being a bartender has many upsides. I'd have to say that number one is probably money, with number two being the social aspect. But one of my favorite things about my job is the experimenting. I love when customers give me creative license. It's fun to make their beer selections for them, but I have even more fun playing with booze. After a good weekend behind the bar, sometimes I carry the inspiration home with me. After work yesterday, I stopped at my favorite bottle shop and spent some hefty coin on various spirits, bitters, and liqueurs. We had a few friends over and I made a total mess of the kitchen playing with cocktail recipes.

I was able to nail down two really solid drinks.


The first (pictured left) is sort of a gin fizz/whiskey sour hybrid:
     
      .75oz High West Silver OMG Pure Rye Whiskey
      1.5oz Hendrick's Gin
      1/2 Orange, Squeezed
      .25oz Grapefruit Juice
      1tsp Simple Syrup
      1 Egg White
      1 dash Bittercube Jamaican #2 Bitters
      1 dash Bittercube Bolivar Bitters

Combine ingredients in a shaker and shake it vigorously. Strain and serve up in a chilled cocktail or coupe glass.

This sucker has great pungent earthy tones on the nose, but cleans them out with bright citrus flavors. Egg white lays an impossibly light foam on top. The High West OMG is the most complex white whiskey I've ever had. It plays well with citrus and the herbal flavors of gin.


The second (right) started with a post here. I kind of used that recipe as a jumping off point.

     1.5oz Bak's Bison Grass Vodka
     .25oz Stirrings Ginger Liqueur
     .25oz Sweet Vermouth
     1 dash Bittermens Xocolatl Mole Bitters
     1 dash Bittercube Cherry Bark Vanilla Bitters
     1oz Cold Brew Coffee Concentrate

Combine ingredients in a shaker and stir. Strain it over ice in a rocks glass.

This has to be one of the best dessert cocktails I've ever had. Bold cocoa and spice flavors and a super dry finish that cleans out any of the sweetness. Bison Grass vodka is still new and exciting to me. The almond works great with big flavors, playing second fiddle on the palate and adding great aroma. 

No comments:

Post a Comment