Thursday, July 7, 2011

This Ain't My First Rodeo

Those of you that know me are aware that I am no stranger to the concept of a hot dog for breakfast.  I'll elaborate on my work on that in a few days.  My focus today, however, is on Back East Bagels' Bagel Dog.  A halfhearted attempt at bringing breakfast dogs to the masses.  This place is not my favorite bagel shop in the valley, but if I'm running errands in the area, I'll make a stop.  On my way to the hardware store one morning I found my stomach growling for more than the basic breakfast.  Almost as if my car was on autopilot, I found myself parked in front of their door.

The first thing I saw when I stepped inside was the bagel dog.  I wasted no time, ordered one with cheddar cheese, grabbed a New Times and a seat.  Before I knew it, I was biting into the be'bageled beast.  Starved, I was, but still I retained the good sense to make note of what I was eating.  The dog seemed like it was toasted, which was fine, the bagel bun was supple, soft and chewy and the cheese was melted.  I was starving, so it did the trick, but the flavors were pretty bland.  My biggest gripe on most hot dogs usually ends up being the bun.  The bagel dog certainly excelled in this category, but the toasted wiener and run of the mill cheddar cheese certainly left me pining for more topping options. 

I could complain about hunger no more, but I felt somewhat cheated.  $6 for what amounted to the most basic breakfast dog I've ever had?  Don't get me wrong, the bagel bun is phenomenal, but I found myself craving more.  Fried egg, veggies, bacon, anything.  I guess we all can't be breakfast dog masters after all.

Rating: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment